Visiting Venice - What to See and Do
(Venice Marco Polo Airport VCE, Italy)
Considered by many as one of the most romantic and beautiful places in the world, Venice is a city unlike any other. It consists of 117 islands linked by canals, picturesque bridges and pavements, and draws many tourists each year.
Venice is home to a wealth of visitor attractions including magnificent architecture and world-renowned art galleries and museums. Of course, no trip to Venice would be complete without a ride in one of Venice's famous gondolas.
Ten things you must do in Venice
- Enjoy a romantic moonlight ride in a gondola, a world-famous symbol of Venice, along the city's picturesque canals.
- Take a guided walking or boat tour of the city. Many different tours are available, led by knowledgeable local guides.
- Step back in time at one of Venice's many superb museums such as the
Marciano Museum, Doge's Palace (Palazzo Ducale), Scuola Grande di San Rocco or the Archaeological Museum (Museo Archeologico).
- Shop till you drop or look for bargains at Venice's trendy boutiques, specialist stores and lively markets.
- Marvel at Venice's stunning architecture. The many highlights include the magnificent Basilica San Marco, Rialto Bridge (Ponte di Rialto) and Palazzo Mocenigo.
- Visit the historic and picturesque nearby town of Burano, about 40 minutes away by ferry, which is home to an interesting lace-making museum.
- Be inspired by the wonderful art on display at Venice's excellent galleries including the Accademia Gallery, Contini gallery and Scuola di San Giorgio degli Schiavoni.
- Enjoy a relaxing stroll in some of Venice's beautiful parks and gardens such as the Giardino Giusti or the Royal Gardens (Giardinetti Reali).
- Take a boat ride along Venice's Grand Canal, sometimes called 'the most beautiful street in the city'. This is a good way to enjoy some of Venice's splendid buildings and landmarks.
- Dine out at one of Venice's superb restaurants or simply grab a coffee, glass of wine or an ice cream at a café and watch the world go by.